Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread
    DT Subscriber

Question Salt in a dancing salt-shaker: no clue where to start!

Hello friends of the Maya application,
    I am trying my hand at a CGI character (a dancing salt-shaker) and I'm to a point where I have little-to-no understanding. I've modeled the character and I'm now faced with the challenge of animating my salt shaker. I would like to string together some dance moves which affect the salt inside the shaker (Maya fluids?). Any tips on where to go next would be SO GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Salt in a dancing salt-shaker: no clue where to start!

I think you can combin the volume field and particle to achieve your goal.

DT Subscriber

Excuse my ignorance, but to what exactly would I apply the volume field and particle? Should I create a particle emitter?

DT Staff

Hi pajhonka. This is a very interesting exercise. I'd like to suggest thinking of a solution that relies on geometry rather than dynamics. It will be difficult to control thousands of particles in your character especially when he's animated.

DT Subscriber

I think you're right, I could just worry about making the dance moves the focus. Any texture ideas for salt?

DT Subscriber

So, my question is mostly about where to begin? I'm guessing I need to model the salt's geometry first. If I create, say, a polygon that fits inside the glass container and texture it with some kind of white grainy texture, would I then go to Dynamics and apply a liquid? This is where I have no experience. Thanks!

Are you wanting the salt to move around when your character moves? Like when you shake a real salt shaker, or is it more fluid like? Digital tutors has training in both area(dynamics and fluids) that would be good to check out.

DT Subscriber

I want the salt to move subtly- just a little touch of detail to add to the realism (as real as one can expect from a dancing salt shaker )

I suppose this would be more fluid like.