Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Importing Video Footage into Maya

Hello people...!!

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to import video into Maya so I can add 3D elements to the footage...

Im assuming it can be done.....Ive had ago by converting video footage to an image sequence, then adding the image sequence onto an Image Plane in Maya........Ive had mixed results....

Is this anywhere near the right thing to do....? Or can video (AVIs, MPEG) be imported straight in.......?

Any ideas would be grateful.....

Cheers Folks......
    Last edited by mystical potato; 01-18-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

Re: Importing Video Footage into Maya

Welcome to DT!

Maya isn't made to be a compositing program, so footage you import as an image sequence is for reference only. Your best bet is to use something like After Effects or Shake to import both your footage and your rendered animations out of Maya to composite. Getting them to match up is something that you'd use the image sequences as reference in Maya to achieve.
    My statements do not reflect opinions of my employer, the US Government or anyone else.

Cheers for the advice ! It kind of makes things a little clearer now ! Will give it ago !

Ta !

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

One thing I've found to be handy is to import the image sequence of your footage into your perspective camera (or whatever camera you'll be rendering from), and move it around until your object looks matches up with your footage's perspective.

Keep lighting in mind, as well.
    My statements do not reflect opinions of my employer, the US Government or anyone else.