Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Question command prompt render not working. help.

why is it that when i render a scene from cmd prompt it doesn't work and tells me

'render' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

am i missing a special setting or something?

DT Staff

Re: command prompt render not working. help.

You need to add the render command to your system path variable or run the render command from the maya bin folder. I recommend the former which you can set from the Environment Variables in the Advanced tab in the System properties (right-click My Computer).
    Another choice is to use
    set path="(maya bin folder)"
    in the command prompt itself.
    Good luck

I'm having same problem too, good thing for this post.

can you help me with this? i tried what sunder suggest but can you make it more detail? cant make render command prompt to work :-(

Like Sunder said, check to see if the path is in the system path variable.

1. Right-click "My Computer"; choose "Properties" then the "advanced" tab, then finally the "Environment Variables" button.

2. Look at the lower box called "System Variables" and look for a variable called "Path." Double-click it or click the edit button to edit it.

3. In the Edit System Variable box, look at the second field "Variable value." More than likely, there will be numerous paths in this, each separated by a semi-colon. Simply add the path to the renderer here. By default, it should be something like what's below (obviously exact naming depends on Maya version and whether it's older ala Alias...all this can be found by navigating to your bin folder via explorer):

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\bin;

4) Press "OK" on all the dialog boxes until you get out of everything and that should be it. Try a cmd line render. Should work.
    Last edited by NitroLiq; 07-22-2009 at 08:54 PM.

woo, it works..... i have another error

when it starts rendering it says Error: cannot find procedure "shave_MRFrameStart

i know this will have something to do with the shave and haircut plugin, but ive disabled it and also un-installed it and it still wont work. also i have not used shave and haircut in the scene or any type of hair its just a simple animation.

hi, ok ignore the last comment as i got it working ... but

it seems to work in the command window. loads up the file and mentalray, then it gets to the line "mental ray: got 8 satellite CPUs." no errors just stopes there

i checked and there is the start of one image of the animation but no more

one tip i found out, using the command prompt to render, because it uses less memory and cpu usage as maya isnt open, you can get away with running 2 batch files, which will relay slow you're system down but 1/2 the render time

DT Subscriber

Just what I was looking for! Thanks NitroLiq for the short manual

I am still getting the message 'render' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Even though I have reset my path to the current location ( C:\ProgramFiles\Autodesk\Maya2012\bin ) I experimented a few different ways with a space and a period at the end like the 2012 documentation shows but I keep getting the same error.
    It is my first time using command prompts, but I tried a couple of other flags to see if I could get it to do anything without success.
    Anything else I can try?
    Thanks!!

After changing the path, my command prompt still will not recognize 'render'. My path value looks different anyways. By default it says C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files (x86)\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files\NTRU Cryptosystems\NTRU TCG Software Stack\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Services\IPT\;C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Data Protection\Access\Advanced\Wave\Gemalto\Access Client\v5\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\AudioCore\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;%systemroot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;Z:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\bin;

I added Z:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\bin; at the end of the path which is where my maya 2013 bin is located but still 'render' won't work.

Any thoughts?