Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Animating curtain by open window using nCloth

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create an animated, thin curtain by an open window but have been playing around with nCloths for days now and can't get it to look realistic! It seems to be animating too fast and doesn't look right at all.

I've set the gravity to 9.8, and space scale to 0.001 as my scene is in mm, and have played around with other attributes but not getting very good results.

If any of you guys could help out then that would be fab!

This is kinda what I'm trying to achieve!

Re: Animating curtain by open window using nCloth

Hey SeasideFreya!
    There are some pretty important attributes you need to adjust to get your curtain behaving how you want! To show you how here's a quick video that will walk you through the process. Hope it helps!

Hey! Wow, thank you! This really helps a lot. But I am still having some isses unfortunately.

I followed your steps but my curtain seems very 'heavy' and the animation is rather clunky. I think the main issue is the fact my scene is 'real world' scale and the curtains are around 3 meters tall! I have changed the Space Scale in nucleus1 to 0.001 as I modelled in mm, but I think I must be missing something else rather crucial!

Hopefully the size won't be too much of an issue, as I would like to keep my scene scale as I want my lighting to be as 'real world' accurate as possible.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by SeasideFreya; 04-16-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Hey SeasideFreya,

Sorry you're still having trouble with this! Getting nCloth to work right especially with different scene scales can be a challenge. I would first try bumping up the air density in your scene. Maybe somewhere around 3.

Let me know if that helps at all!

Hi there,

I have managed to get a movement that I am happy with (lots and lots of tweaking!!) but now I need to 'copy' the curtain as I have 3 windows in all. I have duplicated the object, then saved the nucleus and the clothShape as presets and applied these to the duplicated curtains, but they behave completely different!

My aim is to duplicate the curtain, then slightly tweak the two copies so that they don't all move identically!

Any ideas?

Got it! I exported the curtain then re-imported it back into the scene.

Thanks for all your help!

SF

Awesome! Glad you were able to get it working!