Community Forums

RealFlow Training

+ Reply to Thread

Question making a realflow sim loopable.

hi guys!

So I've been trying to make some animated texture for game development using realflow. So far, it's working out pretty well. I do have one slight issue though. I need to make a few that loop.

My steps so far have been unsuccessful. This is what I did - I created a 200f simulation in RF. I went into maya and imported the mesh .bin file. At this point, I tried my usual techniques that I would use in Maya - cache and use Trax to blend between the two duplicates of the same cache (with offsets). The problem is that as soon as I create a mesh cache it breaks the entire mesh. I assume it's because it's trying to read two caches at once.

Does anyone know how I would be able to achieve this? Is there some way to bring an animated mesh into maya but not have it perma connected to realflow? And if that's not possible, is there some way in RF to do this?

Thank you very much!

DT Staff

Re: making a realflow sim loopable.

Hey stiltskin78!
    It is very difficult to get a seamless loop out of any dynamic simulation, and simulations out of RealFlow aren't an exception to that. With that said, it is possible to cycle a mesh that has been generated out of RealFlow in Maya. Here's a quick video to walk through that process. Hope it helps!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that video! That's a really interesting idea and good to know what you can do that with the RF data within Maya.

I'm going to see if I can combine this technique with two version of the same simulation by warping them into place with lattice boxes to get the shape as close as possible. And maybe some fancy shader work.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted with any success that I may or may not have.

DT Staff

Awesome! Happy to hear it helped! I'll be really interested to see what your outcome is!