Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Getting Rounded Edges from a Square Curve

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone know how to get rounded edges from a nurbs square. Here is kinda an example: Lets say I create a primitive nurbs square, and then decided that instead of having those hard right-angle edges I want them rounded. Is there an easy way to go about this? Or do I have to draw the edges myself with the EP curve tool and then connect them to a straight line? Any pointers would be awesome!

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Last edited by Brandon_L; 03-03-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Re: How to Get Rounded Edges

Under the Edit Surfaces (I think that it for maya 8, its Edit NURBs for maya 7) select the round tool. That right click on the cube and choose isoparms on all the faces, then drag a box around two isoparms and you will see a round handle appear. Select all the edges then press enter and they will round. If you try doing them one at a time you will run into problems.
    Laxman

I guess what I'm really trying to do us get rounded edges on just a "square curve" not a 3d cube. Does that make sense? I'm hoping that I can make this 2d curve with equally rounded edges - so then I can later extrude that into what I want to make with it... You're tip for the rounding of the cube DOES work though - I just need it to work on 2d stuff. Thanks.

Brandon

Like you assumed from a square nurb the vertaceis arent connected at the edges. Meaning you have actually 4 different cv lines that make up the square of each nurbs side of a cube. As you suggested use a cv curve tool and do it in a few seconds on your own. Use the front view and snap to grid option and click 4 times and press enter. That way you should have exactly what you need within a few mouse clicks. Depending on the curvature of each side use the degree of the curve to adjust it to your needs. With the grid displayed and snapping on this should be an easy task you might have to use a few more mouse clicks and play a little with the tool to get really comfi with it.

I would probably decide to go with a sub-d cube where the shape is already rounded on the edges but harder to adjust the degree of the curverture itself. Than Id Flatten it to make it 2D like.

Hope this info helped a little

Thanks for the help guys.
    I actually figured out how to get the look I wanted(in a simple way).
    If you select two curves (lets say two sides of a square) and then go to Edit Curves>Curve Fillet - And set the radius to about 0.1 or 0.2 it give you very nice rounded edges. That was what I was aiming for. But thanks again for your tips - I'm sure Ill be able to use them in other areas of my modeling.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Brandon_L; 03-04-2007 at 02:12 PM.

what I do to quickly make curved squares in to make a nurbs circle, them increase the number of divisions to 12 (3 times the number of corners) then just select the verticies and put them in place using the scale and move tools.
    Laxman