Community Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Videos not working on my android tablet

Hello,

I tried to view some videos of DT on my asus transformer prime, the videos don't load though no sound or video is played.
    I also tried those new tutorials of July, which should have to work on android according to the DT labs blog, but no difference here.
    I wished there was an android app, like the one for the iPad

PS: I'm still new to DT, but i really really like your tutorials, a big thanks.
    sorry if my English isn't correct or understandable I'm Dutch.

DT Staff

Re: Videos not working on my android tablet

Hey William42,
    Please make sure that your tablet is running one of the following versions of Android: http://support.digitaltutors.com/for...tries/21639516

If you're having difficulty with the HTML5 video player, you might try getting Flash player from the Google Play marketplace and using a Flash-supported browser. For example, personally I use the free Dolphin browser with Flash on my Android tablet and it plays the videos great.

If you're still having issues, can you submit a ticket through the link at the bottom here: http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/help.php? That'll help us dig further into the issue. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Hey William42,
    Please make sure that your tablet is running one of the following versions of Android: http://support.digitaltutors.com/for...tries/21639516

If you're having difficulty with the HTML5 video player, you might try getting Flash player from the Google Play marketplace and using a Flash-supported browser. For example, personally I use the free Dolphin browser with Flash on my Android tablet and it plays the videos great.

If you're still having issues, can you submit a ticket through the link at the bottom here: http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/help.php? That'll help us dig further into the issue. Thanks!
    Dan,
    I don't know if you saw this thread I made a few days ago, but I'm having the same issue.... i.e., no videos playing, sometimes with an error message.
    As I wrote there, I'm using the (up-to-date) Dolphin browser too and have the latest Flash as well.
    My Android version is 2.3

Unfortunately I don't have time to submit a ticket at the moment.

DT Staff

Hey Strelok,
    I hadn't seen it but it looks like Chris replied.

Hmm...what course are you trying to view? The reason I ask is because our "new" player that Chris is referring to when asking if you've tried anything from the July release doesn't use any elements from strobe player, so you won't get that error with the new player. In case you hadn't heard about the new player, as Chris implied and as this DT Labs post explains, we're in the process of converting our library to a new mobile-friendly system. But since Android has always supported Flash-based videos, the "old" player still works on Android. Of course, Android's support of Flash is changing but that's neither here nor there. The new player will switch to an HTML5-based version automatically if the system detects your setup doesn't support Flash-based content.

Try playing this course to see if it works: http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=724. That course uses our new player, as does last month's entire release: http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/trai...d=2&m=7&y=2012.

I just did a quick double-check to make sure that the player works on Dolphin and was able to play videos with both the old player and the new player. Of course, the new player looks a lot nicer. If you want to run the same test, I watched this video on the old player and this video on the new one. Both of them using Dolphin and with Flash player installed.
    Old player:
    oldplayer_on_android.jpg

New player:
    newplayer_on_android.jpg

Another thing you can do to test is that if you are having issues with the Flash-based player, you can force the HTML5 player by using Chrome. Since the mobile version of Chrome doesn't support Flash, on the new player you'll automatically be sent the HTML5 player instead of the Flash-based player.

FYI, submitting a ticket for support is as fast as posting to the forums. If you're still having issues, I'd highly recommend submitting a ticket so we can look into your account more in-depth to see what might be going on.
    Last edited by dan; 07-31-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Hi Dan,
    First, thank you very much for the in-depth answer.

Second, and I don't know how to explain this, but I was able to watch those videos you linked to. Odd because as I mentioned in my other post, I wasn't able to view anything before., although I wasn't trying those Maya tutorials. Probably some older Softimage tutorials, although I was just flipping around randomly experimenting.

I still can't watch the new Fiber mesh in ZBrush course though - I get an error saying it's not optimized for mobile, which is more than I was getting the other day - it was simply not giving any audio or video at all, now it just sort of skips frames but still plays ...sort of.

Well, watching on my mobile is just for the sake of having something to do from time to time. Can't really compare to watching at home on my 24" monitor.
    So it's not that big of a deal, but it's good to know I can at least watch some videos on my phone when I want to.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Strelok; 07-31-2012 at 08:36 PM.

DT Staff

Hmm, this course won't play? http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=750

I just tried playing it on my phone and it plays alright. That course, as part of the July release, is in the new player so it should play for you. Especially if you're able to play the other courses I linked to. Of course keep in mind that if you're still streaming a video so there might be skipping depending on how strong your signal/data connection is. Personally, I've found that to be the biggest hindrance to watching any sort of streaming videos on my phone. While there's obviously nothing we can do to increase your phone's signal, if you continue to have issues please take some screenshots and send them to us through a support ticket just so we can make sure that we're doing everything on our end that is possible.

As for older content, we're still working to add older content to the new mobile-friendly player.

Thanks again Dan.
    I've solved my problem. I'm getting a newer model phone.

Well no, not just so I can watch videos here, just because it's about time, and my phone has seen its share of abuse.

DT Staff

Ha ha! That's one way to do it. Enjoy your new phone!