I might be in over my head on this but I figured I would give it a try. This will be my first big project on my own. No more Monkey see Monkey do, although that seems to be the best way to learn. Please feel free to comment. Im not that good yet.
Here is what I got so far.
What are you planning on making: interior and exterior? You should really block out the scale of everything first, to make sure the exterior and interior ruffly look proper together. OR did you do that already?
but like you are asking about scale and size and all that good stuff, for something so complicated to me (Huey) at this early stag of me learning I bought this
and here is what that looks like so far.
I take a picture of the complicated pieces and load it in maya as an image plane. So far it seems to be working.
Once Im done I hope to group or combine then scale to the correct size to import into UDK. Hopefully I can pull it off
Well Im going to put a hold on this. I keep failing miserably at modeling the out side shell. I'm just not good enough yet. I have it looking pretty good but I cant get the nose and front windows to look good. Also some serious challenges I'm having is adding thickness to the interior shell. I want it to look good inside and out.
All you really need to do is get the exterior scale down first - before going into the detail. This happens to many modelers - you want to see the awsome details first.
You can make the individual pieces - just do not try to place them together until you have your general exterior and interior scaled and proportioned together. Then just place the objects inside the blocked out model - that has the correct proportions.
Yeah maybe it was a bad idea to follow the plastic model steps. But dont laugh, here is why I stopped. This is embarrassing for me to post but I will never learn if I dont take the good with the bad. Junk.jpg
The nose cone sucks when smoothed, above the windows are terrible, I put resolution to clean up the edges and then I get to tight of loops where they need to be loose and smooth.
I have since watch some classes on toy modeling, which helps out a lot, plus I found these videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurxg...4&feature=plcp
and just to see how he starts his Huey is a big help. Im going to do only half using the create poly tool rather than blocking it in from a primitive. Also I will do like he does in the video and only do have and then setup the insistence.
Hang in there, MegaDeth. Maya is quite daunting when diving in (I just started with it end of last year...). I followed along with the concept car and concept bike tutorials here at DT, and they helped me get a good grasp on good modeling techniques. (as well as varied ones, as the car and bike are quite different approaches.) I am still quite the amateur, but I was in a very similar situation as yours getting frustrated with a personal project I was doing- I put it down, tacked a couple of "step by step" tutorials, and when I came back, i had a clearer image of how to achieve what was in my head. Hope that helps- good luck and stay at it!! (your interior pieces look great, btw!)
Its nice to know Im not the only one with problems first starting out.
I have done the bike Ill check out the car. I have been bouncing around for the last few days trying to get interested in a training coarse but cant find one. The training videos I like require to know and own to many different software's or you need certain plugins that doesn't work with Maya 2013.
The problem is you are trying to build in to much detail. Start with the hull as a unified shape and don't bother with the openings. Once you have the hull plug you can add resolution and cut in the openings. In many cases you may have to retopologize over the top of the plug shape in order to get the correct topology around the openings.
Hi ctbram , Thanks for the tips, thats what I have been trying to do with my latest version.
Which Im pretty happy with so far. I did the haul this time using Nurbs the first time around I used poly primitives and blocked it in.
Now I ran into a new problem. The problem with a Huey is the nose cone on the front . Like now the resolution for the nose is transferring down the side of the Huey which at one time I had the Haul of the Huey and the tail section one piece but because all the resolution got funnel to the tail , I had resolution problems in the tail. So I separated the haul from the tail but now Im not getting a good blend where they meet.