Community Forums

3ds Max Training

+ Reply to Thread

Raytrace Shadows' softness and Shadow Map

Hi guys, just posting my first thread here at DT... I need a help with my Shadow Maps, actually, there aren't any and that's the problem, only raytraced shadows show up in the render. I'm using 3DS Max 2011 with Mental Ray.
    Do you guys guess what might be wrong?
    By the way, how can I apply softness to a shadow using Raytrace. In XSI you have Softness parameter, it's so easy. I uses Sample Range for the softness equivalent when using Shadow Maps, and rise the Size value because of the bad quality of the it when trying to make the shadow's border sharper.

Thanks a lot!

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Re: Raytrace Shadows' softness and Shadow Map

If you want to get soft raytraced shadows in mental ray, you'll need to use the "mr Area Omni" or the "mr Area Spot" light type.

Those 2 light types have an "Area Light Parameters" roll-out, where you can adjust the radius of your light source. Higher radius values will produce softer shadows.

Good luck, hope this helps
    Kyle

Thank you all for supporting Digital-Tutors.

Thank you Kyle!
    The Area Lights do work.
    But, what about my Shadow Maps that don't cast any shadow? What's wrong with them?
    Thanks!

Kyle,

I'm having the same problem. Shadow maps not showing up with a standard spot light using mental ray and mental ray materials. Increasing the size of the shadow map does not help. All is fine if I use ray traced but I'm trying to demonstrate the difference between shadow maps and ray traced maps to my students.

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Hi Artistman,
    I've sometimes seen this happen when opening up existing scenes (usually from older versions of 3ds Max), and trying to add lights.

After you create your light and enable the Shadow Map shadows, go to the "Shadow Map Params" roll-out of the light, and make sure your "Bias" is set to a low value like 0.01. Sometimes the Bias will default to a value of 1.0, which makes the shadow completely disappear.

Good luck, hope this helps
    Kyle

Thank you all for supporting Digital-Tutors.