Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

2D and 3D container very slow.

Hi there =)
    So I think there's a problem somewhere, because I looked at a tutorial on DT about 2D and 3D container, and the tutorial was made in something like 2008 and the simulations runs smoothly for the guy who explains on the tutorial but when I'm trying to do it with my computer it's really slow. My computer has 16 gigs of ram, GTX 560 ti graphic card, SSD and so on. Is there something I must do to make it run faster ?

Thanks =)

DT Moderator

Re: 2D and 3D container very slow.

Maybe you have one setting in the container that is not matching the instructors fluids..
    Have you tried opening the project files and see if those rung smooth on your computer?

It seems to be working a bit better, but no big change :/

DT Moderator

Hm, could you maybe send me your scene file, and the exact course name you were following? I then could compare both versions and their performance on my system...

This is the course :
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/trai...226&autoplay=1
    And for the maya scene, it's just a new scene and I just click on create 2D container with emitter, and when I click on play, it's slow.

DT Moderator

Is it really just that? I just tried out what you said: new scene, create 2d container with emitter, and play... but my playback runs with 330 fps (even in high quality with shaded and textures)..
    And from what I saw, your computer is not a bad one...
    So its really a plain new scene? nothing else in that?, maybe you have an other program running that uses some resources of your computer..

Yeah, I just open maya, go to fluids, create a 2D or 3D container with emitter, change to a 1,000 frames animation, and alt + v to play and it's slow.

try creating a new scene with just the 3d container and particle emitter . there could be something else in your scene causing the problem .

Well that's exactly what I'm doing. Opening maya, new scene, create 3D container with emitter.. and it's slow :/