Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

deleting default UV maps

I didn't know to turn off the Create UVs option in the Polygon tools, so all my objects have UVs. When I map them later, I get both sets and it not only gets confusing, but sometimes I have a lot of trouble just selecting the ones I want. Is there a way to delete the default map? (I've since turned that option off, but I don't want to remodel everything.)

Re: deleting default UV maps

I dont recommend deleting anything you may need later . you could create a new material and assign only the normal map and re assign that material to your model as a quick fix .

DT Staff

Re: deleting default UV maps

The default UV set, called map1, cannot be deleted. From a programmer's point of view, the default UV set is number 0 so you can't have another set in the array without the first one. For example, you can't have 1, 2, 3, 4 without 0 just like you can't have 2 or 3 without 1. With that said, I don't know how many UV sets you have but there's really no need to delete the default UV set in favor of another UV set. If you have all of your UVs laid out in a UV set that you created you can simply copy those to the default UV set and then rename the default UV set to whatever you want and delete the UV set that you created. You can learn about how to rename and/or manage your UV sets here: http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?vid=10776