Want to supercharge your tech skills?
Digital-Tutors subscribers now get access to 1,400+ courses on Pluralsight.com
Community Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Unity Learning Path. Shifting difficulties.

I am new to Unity and have really enjoyed watching the first course (Beginner's Guide to Unity) and second course (Introduction to Unity) in the Unity Mobile Game Development Learning Path.
    The third course (Introduction to Scripting in Unity) was kind of boring for me, since i have been using JavaScript for years. But the information about Unity's API and integration kept me watching.

All three courses seemed to be aimed at a audience with no prior background to Unity, programming or basic modeling techniques; like move, rotate and scale.

Now the fourth course (Character and Weapon Modeling) and fifth course (Rigging and Animation) seems to be aimed at people with much more experience in modeling. I have used 3ds Max and Maya for some time and i could follow along a bit in the fourth course. Even though i know the different techniques used, i felt completely lost in the rapid explanation of UV maps and textures.

I know that there are different courses for creating the models used used in the course.

In the fifth course i almost gave up since there is really no explanation on rigging or animation. I feel like the videos where more about 'what have been done' and not 'how do we do this'. Basically a 'show off' rather than a guide/tutorial.

I am really hoping that the later part of the Learning Path goes back to a more easy going explanation of how to create things.

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Thumbs up Re: Unity Learning Path. Shifting difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudoo View Post
    I am new to Unity and have really enjoyed watching the first course (Beginner's Guide to Unity) and second course (Introduction to Unity) in the Unity Mobile Game Development Learning Path.
    The third course (Introduction to Scripting in Unity) was kind of boring for me, since i have been using JavaScript for years. But the information about Unity's API and integration kept me watching.

I am really hoping that the later part of the Learning Path goes back to a more easy going explanation of how to create things.
    Hi Drudoo,

I'm sorry we didn't make this clearer in the Learning Path. This learning path isn't so much how to get started with Unity, it's more a playlist of the courses in our Unity Mobile Game Development series. It's not really meant to be watched by someone new to Maya, or asset creation in general. Creating this game was a huge undertaking and required many artists with years of experience. The asset creation courses (Character and Weapon Modeling) and (Rigging and Animation) are really meant for different members of your team that are already familiar with Maya modeling, rigging and animation. If you're going through the learning path to learn Unity, you can skip the courses that are not in Unity.

With your post I recognize the necessity of a Getting Started with Unity learning path, as the current one is confusing and we're not clear on what it is. So I've asked some of our people to create a 'Getting Started with Unity' learning path, and we should have it up in the coming weeks.

Please continue to post if you run into any other issues like this, because we want our training and site to work as clearly as possible.