Community Forums
+ Reply to Thread
    DT Moderator

Im getting a new computer....

Hi there dear Community,

to get to the point: Im going to buy myself a new computer.. my current one is waay to slow for my needs.
    Mainly I do Maya modeling, animation, vfx and rendering, mudbox sculpting and photoshop image editing...
    Im thinking about buying this one:

Prozessor: Intel Core i7 3930K [6 x 3.20GHz] 12MB Sockel 2011
    Cooling: Akasa Venom Voodoo 2x 120mm (super silent!)
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3 (4x4GB) 1333MHz Kingston
    HardDrive: 1000 GB HDD SATA-600 mit 32MB Cache WD
    HardDrive2: 64 GB SSD Solid State HDD Crucial M4 2,5" SATA 600
    Graphicscard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 580 1536MB DDR5
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 (X79) Mainboard USB3.0 + SATA3

so I just wanted to get one for not more than 2000 (~ $ 2600)
    If anyone has suggestions and tips for what would work better and is hopefully cheaper .. Id like to know that.

PS: I dont know that much about the hardware stuff, I just need this thing to work fast and stable

Re: Im getting a new computer....

Hi Adeptus,

That system looks to be solid and the hardware looks to be pretty high end.

In my experience, I've always been a fan of building my own machines as opposed to buying a pre-build box. Granted, you have to have a bit of hardware knowledge but it's really not that difficult. This allows you to shop around for the best prices on individual pieces as well as select particular manufacturers you might favor over others. For example, because I'm not that familiar with Gigabyte, I might select an EVGA or Asus main board based on my past experiences with them. I'm also sort of picky about who makes my video card. Also, it's really easy for the next upgrade to just switch out the updated pieces and leave the ones that don't need upgrading. The case for my personal machine has seen 3 different builds and the power supply has seen 2.

If you don't feel like building a machine, have you checked out Alienware? I've had a little experience with their hardware and I know it's solid as well.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Hi Eddie,

You might want to consider putting an extra monitor on your system. My two sons have that and when I get my new computer in a few months, I will get it too. That way you can use the whole screen as a work area and have all the menus and other features on the second monitor. I'll bet the moderators use multiple monitors in that way.

Regards,
    Ken

DT Moderator

Thanks eddie, i will check those EVGA and Asus boards out.. also I will take a look at Alienware right now, didnt think about that possibility

yea kcrap, thats one sure thing im currently working with a dual screen setup, but its one notebook one 24" widescreen, so I will definitely buy a third one - just to be pro...

I recently got my own computer and the price was about 16-17 000$, and all the softwares are up and running in 1-2secs. I think you should go with Eddies tips, its better to buy all the computer parts that includes more of your needs than a standard completed computer. I got lucky enough to find a guy who built it and trimmed it for me (Im not good with building computers so), so I asked him what i needed and he got it for me and built it on his own. (maybe a little risky thing if you dont know the guy but im extreamly happy witht the results today).

what are your needs really ? desktop with multi screens or full performance workstation , whats your data throughput requirements ? are you running into hard-disk latency issues ? bottle necks in pci chipsets ? if you dont understand the questions then your dont need a workstation machine yet .

DT Moderator

So... do you say that a full performance workstation cannot have multiscreens? Did I ever mention a workstation? what sort of post is this?
    My requirements arent that high, I dont need a workstation.. just a strong computer to run programms smoothly...
    Last edited by adeptus; 01-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Adeptus thats a bit of a snippy reply , i can see why they made you a moderator .
    Last edited by bravo2zero; 01-12-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Hey I have a suggestion in the GPU sector. Instead of a GeForce go for the Nvidia Quadro series. Quadro seems to have better performance for workstations and totally rapes GeForce while working with 3d applications. Plus you get enhanced performance while using Quadro for 3ds Max and UDK, i haven't checked out the other apps.

In the case of the processor, i have never been a fan of intel. I always prefer AMD. AMD is the mother of performance compared to intel. So as to go along with AMD i choose a motherboard from Asus.

This is my computer spec.

CPU AMD Phenom II SIX X6 - 1100T 3.3 GHz, 9M, AM3
    RAM 4GB X 2 DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 RIPJAWS X
    HDD Seagate 1TB HDD SATA
    HDD Seagate 500 GB HDD SATA
    Cabinet Coolermater HAF 922
    UPS APC 1KVA UPS
    Graphics Card Nvidia Quadro 2000 1GB DDR5
    DVD Sony DVD Writer
    SMPS Antec 750W
    Monitor Samsung 22" LCD Monitor 2230
    Keyboard Mouse Razer Cyclosa Keyboard & Razer Abyssus Mouse
    Mouse Mat Razer Golaithus Omega Mat
    Speaker Logitech Speaker System Z103

The whole thing came around 1,711.56 US$ .

DT Staff

Quote Originally Posted by bravo2zero View Post
    if you dont understand the questions then your dont need a workstation machine yet .
    Let's calm down and keep this civil. Adeptus has a legitimate post asking for recommendations on his potential configuration, so please only post if you can add something constructive to the conversation. There's simply no need for saying something like this. Remember the number 1 rule in these forums: http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/s...rs-Forum-Rules

DT Moderator

Yes.. well
    thanks JZacH for that however im more related to Intel and GeForce at the moment, this computer needs to be more like a multimedia allrounder and less workstation.
    But, how does It come that AMD and Intel differ that much.. the latest hardware reviews I checked (it was a comparation between the i7 and the Phenom ... and i7 turned out to be faster .. I also referred to this site: http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i...600k-review/13
    Also check out this graph: this helped me out a lot to decide wich cpu to choose: http://media.bestofmicro.com/I/4/318...vs%202600k.png
    I will now visit some places and check prices for the individual parts, and compare the total to what it would cost if I buy the same system prebuild..
    Thanks for the answers gentlemen
    Last edited by adeptus; 01-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.

DT Staff

Personally, I've always looked at it this way. Technological differences between AMD and Intel aside, AMD owns ATI. So I've assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that AMD CPUs would prefer ATI GPUs. The flip side to that AMD/ATI combination would be an Intel CPU teamed up with NVIDIA. Since I've always preferred NVIDIA cards, simply as a personal preference, I've found the combination of Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs works pretty well. That's just my own two cents as to the AMD and Intel differences.