Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

'render' is not recognized as...

Has any one seen this error before? I create a .bat file from notepad and list out my files to be batched however I get this message everytime...

'render' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

I really need to be able to batch render and this obviously not allowing me.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Dan

Re: 'render' is not recognized as...

if you just type in render at the command prompt does it work? (should say missing file name)
    Laxman

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

Chances are that's happening if you don't have Maya installed to the default directory. In that case, you can replace the word render with something like the following:

"c:\program files\alias\maya7.0\bin\render.exe"

Of course, modifying the Maya version number to whatever version you're using and the path name to wherever you have Maya installed.
    My statements do not reflect opinions of my employer, the US Government or anyone else.

At the command prompt I get a message saying that windows does not know what "render" is.

However when I do a search as the error message says it tells me too I find where the render.exe is and I assume it is the default directory and I can see both the render and batchrender executables.

I have tried your last suggestion to by replacing render with the directory list and still no luck.

A little more background for diagnostic purposes.

I am running Maya 7 Complete with a Body Studio 2.6 plugin. I recently got my Maya 8 upgrade and installed it. I then found out that Body Studio does not work with Maya 8. I uninstalled the Maya 8 upgrade and went back to Maya 7. Since then my batch file is no longer reconized. Maya runs fine and the batch render inside the Maya 7 UI works fine.

Just getting a little fluster at what could be wrong.

Thanks for the help and any additional support you can give.

Dan

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

Are you rendering from the .bat file or from the command line? If .bat, what is the entire .bat file? If from the command line, what is the command you are typing in? Wherever you have Maya installed, just put an absolute path to render.exe -- which is in the "bin" folder of wherever Maya is installed.
    My statements do not reflect opinions of my employer, the US Government or anyone else.

I have tried everything I can think of. Attached is what I see when trying to make this work.
    Looking over the tutorials and Maya Documentation I do not see that I am doing anything in error.
    Can you see something that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
    Attached Images

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

That should work, however it looks as if it simply can't find where Maya's batch render executable is located. By default, its located under C:\Program Files\Alias\MayaVERSION\bin\mayabatch.exe. If its not, you may have troubles and you may have to call everything absolutely. Just remember to put them in quotes if you do that, and make sure your batch file is all on one line (I had to turn on word wrapping to make sure the image wasn't too large to upload).
    Attached Images

Got it too work using the absolute values. Thanks for your assistance with this. Funny that everything I was trying should have worked. I think it has to do with the upgrade install then removal that could have effected something. Even though I see no trace of the upgrade lingering around. Interesting error.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Dan

if it works with the absolutes than its a simple thing to fix. Right click on my computer and go to properties. Then click on the advanced tab and press 'environmental variables'. At the bottom you will see some enteries, scroll down untill you find PATH for the variable and double click on it. At the very beginning of the variable value enter

c:\program files\alias\maya7.0\bin;

that is the default path, but it should point to the folder than contained render.exe, make sure that it does and everything will work normally.
    Laxman

Thanks Laxman and Danlefeb. Most gracious for your quick responses and you indepth knowledge of this package.

Happy Holidays!

Dan