Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread
    DT Moderator

Physical SunAndSky - Sun Distance?

Hello DT,
    I have a question now:
    while working with the mental ray physical sund and sky, Im getting an Issue where the sun shape is placed before my clouds ( The clouds are a shpere with a transparent texture on it - really simple)
    However, Im concerned because some days ago it was working fine, but when I created a new scene using the MR Phys SunAndSky it turns out like this:

So is there a way to define the "layer" for the sun? so that its placed in the very furthest outside of the scene?
    Thanks in advance for your Help

DT Staff

Re: Physical SunAndSky - Sun Distance?

Hi adeptus,
    The sun in the Physical Sun & Sky is actually based off a directional light and directional lights really donít have an origin like youíd see in a point or spot light. Most of the time when the sun disk appears to be in front of geometry, itís actually the intensity thatís just too high. Hereís a quick video on some tests you can run to troubleshoot that as well as how you can quickly set up the sun on its own render layer and then composite that back together if youíd like to go that route instead.

Hope it helps!

Here's the project files from the video in case they help: Maya_Project.zip

And here's a link to the Introduction to mental ray in Maya 2009 course that was referenced in the video.

DT Moderator

yeah thanks, got it now.
    Just as you, I had a ramp texture to fade the clouds at the horizon. Its really strange how much the position of the color nodes can do. I moved the white color of the ramp by 0.05 up and the sun shape disappeared completely but the clouds still were looking good. Thanks again for those troubleshooting tips

You need to soften the shape of the sun so its not perfectly round and bring the cloud over the top of the sun . This sort of layout takes a lot of tweaking to get the desired effect .