Community Forums

Mudbox Training

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stamp Problem

Stamp Problem

Watching your tuts demonstrating the stamp tool... here and on Autodesk, but my stamp tool just doesn't work as you show it. Am I missing a step to produce in sculpt mode or imprint? It just makes big blob representations of the stamp, not precise, no matter if I make the brush smaller or lower-raise the strength... No matter which stamp I use. According to the tut... to use a stamp, it should be on the 'sculpt mode' then choose any stamp and brush onto the model, plane, etc... If I just click my mouse onto the mesh, nothing appears... but if I drag my mouse, the stamp appears but not as it should, but a clumpy mess... Can anyone help?

DT Staff

Re: Stamp Problem

Hi TheDarkMuse,
    Are your meshes sufficiently subdivided? What resolution mesh are you using? Try opening one of the default mudbox meshes, subdivide it to level 6 or so and try applying a stamp. Do you get the same result? I've also seen tools act strangely if a mesh is imported with scaling applied, so if that's the case, try freezing the transforms before importing.

Thanks Justin... I think I've done everything... according to the tut at least:

Are your meshes sufficiently subdivided?

Not sure if I have that correct or not. Tut passes over that simple info... I've selected SHIFT+D to pump it up, if that's correct, up to at least 6...

What resolution mesh are you using? Try opening one of the default mudbox meshes, subdivide it to level 6 or so and try applying a stamp.

Resolution? Not sure... I use the default, I assume it is, plane, body, head, etc when Mudbox first opens from the grid choices it gives. Still doesn't perform well. I'm not sure as well what you mean by scaling applied? I just opened the default Head or plane, subdivide up until 6 and it makes it more visible, but the stamps, no matter which one's I use just look like sharp peaks or clumpy mountains. The higher the subdivisions, the worse it gets... and not that the low sub is any better - hardly visible...

THANKS...

Best thing I can do is link to AREA where I was able to post the pics. I can't here...

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autod...lem/page-last/

DT Staff

It looks like the strength is too high, try setting it to .5 and choose a soft falloff to feather the edges.

Hello.

I am bumping this thread for more information

I just ran into the problem as justin_m described it. And indeed when I froze my transformations in Maya (on all my objects as a group) a number of issues were resolved in mudbox.
    1) My objects looked funny. Now they look like they should. 2) Mudbox was way slower than it should be. Now its running normally. 3) Stamps did not work at all. Now they work perfect.

I am on 2013 and OSX. THis thread is from 2011. But the issue remains in the current edition and service pack.

Had spent 3 hours trying a lot of different things to correct the issue, before I decided it was a bug and googled for justice. But since this issue is in the 2011 posts, and this 2013 post, maybe its not a bug, but the way its supposed to work? At any rate for MAYA to MUDBOX users (noobs like me) Take note of this!