Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Normal Map Bake issue.

Hey guys,

I'm just working on finishing up with the Next Gen Game Assets tutorial and I've run into an issue when baking my normal map. Basically the high-res information just doesn't seem to be projecting at all and im not sure why. HQ viewport rendering is on, as is hardware texturing.

Ill post a picture of the mesh and the transfer map window to see if anyone else can make sense of this.

Thanks again guys.

DT Staff

Re: Normal Map Bake issue.

Hello JKing3D,
    I’ve actually come across that issue in my own projects and it’s due to what seems to be a bug when creating a new directory in the Transfer Maps options. Here’s a look at the issue as well as how you can resolve it. Hope it helps!

Here's a link to the Creating Next-Gen Game Assets in Maya course that was referenced in the video.

Firstly, I'd like to say thank your for going the extra mile and posting a detailed video on a possible fix for the problem

I reloaded the map in the attribute editor and it worked... Kind of.

I think there is another underlying issue that im not sure how to resolve. For some reason unknown to myself the envelope seems to ignore the whole front end of the gun. Also, the size of the envelope doesn't seem to change when i change the search envelope %. Is there some issue with my normals being inverted on part of the gun? I'm stumped at this point.

Anyway, a picture speaks 1000 words...

Thanks again.

Bump, I've still not resolved this issue. Could it be something to do with the UVs?