Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Maya 2011_Creating Forests, i.e. trees and bushes.

Maya 2011_Creating Forests, i.e. trees and bushes.
    Hello there

What are the methods of incorporating forests, trees, bushes and landscapes into a scene in Maya without overburdening the system, I mean without leading to a crash in Maya? I don't know much about paint effects, however all the tutorials I have gone through keep warning about using it for creating forests in a scene. Or is there any way of using paint effects efficiently in a scene without leading to an oversize file which will slow down the system? Ortherwise why do we have paint effects in Maya at all? Anyone?

Regards to All

DT Staff

Re: Maya 2011_Creating Forests, i.e. trees and bushes.

Hello Amolese,
    One huge advantage to paint effects is that you can very, very quickly set up a large amount of foliage in your scene without having to model out each tree. However, they can indeed bog down the system when it comes to render time if you’re using mental ray because you have to convert the paint effects to polygons and by extension you’re introducing a large number of polys into your scene. Here’s a quick look at one technique you can use to very quickly paint out a forest as well as how you can convert them to polys for rendering in mental ray if that’s what you choose to do. Hope it helps!

Here's a link to the Set Dressing and Design in Maya course that was referenced in the video.

Hello Dan. Thanks for this info. After having watched this I think I will create a new layer render for the paint effects with Maya software as render then composite the whole scene later.

DT Staff

Happy to hear you have found a solution!