Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Recommended depth of field method?

Hey guys, so im currently working on my demo reel for graduation and in my final renders id like to use depth of field. But im wondering how i should go about doing it? I know there are some DoF lenses but where would i plug it in if i already have exposure photographic plugged in? I just saw a quickly tut here using a Depth pass where it uses grayscale to create DoF then you take it into photoshop. That method looked really good but what do you guys suggest?

thanks!!

Re: Recommended depth of field method?

Are you going to render stills or video? Using a depth map pass is a great way to achieve depth of field, with quick render times. You could use Camera Depth of Camera Depth Remapped, depending on the scene size and settings... It indeed renders a grayscale depth matte, wich you could use in After Effects with the Lens Blur effects for example.

Using maya's / mental rays way, will crank up the render times quite a bit, so I think that's important to consider... If your lensshader is already used (i don't know how to connect 2 shaders to that) you could always use the standard camera DOF in maya...

Thanks for the reply KMKaine. Its going to be a video but ya I decided im going to go with the depth map render pass. Was watching some of the tutorials videos about it and it looks really easy but also very effective!

DT Staff

Hi JBeezy! Both you and KMKaine are most certainly correct in that the mental ray depth pass is a great way to get depth of field in your renders. However, as with many things in Maya there are many ways to achieve depth of field and depending on what your project requires sometimes you may want to bounce between alternatives to the mental ray depth pass. So here’s a quick look at an alternative to the mental ray depth pass either through the mental ray DOF lenses or through a luminance depth layer.

Here’s a link to the Advanced Compositing Workflows with Maya and Toxik course that was referenced in the video.