Community Forums

After Effects Training

+ Reply to Thread

Importing from Illustrator to After Effect

Hi,

I imported layers from Illustrator to After Effect. When I change the Composition size, the original dimension of the layers also change. How do I keep the origianl dimension while changing the Comp size?

The vector image of Illustrator is converted to pixel image when I imported to After Effect. Is there any way to keep it as vector image?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Importing from Illustrator to After Effect

Hugin, it has been quite awile since I have done that. But I belive you want to copy the layers from Illustrator and then paste it in after effects scene. I belief it does keep the size then. There is a seting in Illustrator that effects the way a layer is copied, and will effect how it will act in after effects when it is pasted.

I found this tutorial if they are PATHS, it is for a Mac, but should help.. It may help wih your situation also.

Unfortunately the default preferences in Adobe Illustrator are set in such a way as to prevent you from copying and pasting masks or paths from one application to another. To correct this, first open Adobe Illustrator and from Edit>Preferences>Files & Clipboard menu turn on AICB with Preserve Paths selected.

Also you need to turn on the RASTERIZE to keep the as a vector image.

When you import a vector file, After Effects automatically rasterizes it. However, if you want to scale a vector file above 100%, you need to continuously rasterize it to maintain image quality. You can continuously rasterize an Illustrator file (or any other vector file) at any time while designing your project. Continuously rasterizing causes After Effects to rasterize the file as needed based on the transformation for each frame. A continuously rasterized file generally produces higher quality results, but it may preview and render slower than a rasterized image.

Thank you, Oldhippie tom!

You are quite welcome!! After Effects is fun!!