Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Flipping / Mirroring the animation

Hello DT Community,

Well, I came to a situation where I was doing an animation, and I tweaked the left side first, then I went and mirrored all the key poses to the right side, then started to refine the left side, then had to tweak the right side again, and so on...

Isn't there a faster and less boring way to do this?! Cause flipping a symmetrical animation by hand is time consuming, and it's easy to forget a key on the process.

Please let me know if there is a way Maya does it or if anyone knows a script for it, it would be very helpful.

Thank you,
    Henrique

DT Staff

Re: Flipping / Mirroring the animation

Hi Henrique! Here's a look at how you can flip keys by using scale. In this example I only flipped them in time so as to get an exact opposite result, but depending on your project you can also flip them in value using the same operation. Hope it helps!

Here's a link to the Introduction to Animation in Maya course that was referenced in the video.

Re: Flipping / Mirroring the animation

Hey Dan

that is cool, how could you apply this to a characters controls, say you wanted to mirror a pose but don't have time to repose the character in the opposite direction ?

Andy Gee