Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Automatic Normal Flip

Hi there,

I recently watched the movie about Shading Networks with Maya / Mental Ray. I have seen there that there is a possibility to use two different matierials depending on the normals direction.

So If I have one single surface with different normal directions on it I have to change these manually. If there would be any possibly to use that for automatically reverse normals that would be great.

Does anyone know about?

Thanks!

DT Staff

Re: Automatic Normal Flip

Hello Stefan_H! You can use the Conform operation to set the normal direction of your mesh to the direction that is shared by the majority of your mesh. Here's a quick video on how you can do that as well as a few tips for seeing which direction your normals are facing.

Here's a link to the Introduction to Modeling in Maya course that was referenced in the video.

HI Dan,

thousand thanks to you! That tip is great! I used the face normal line before and that's really hard work. Even with two sieded lightning it was hard to adjust the normals. I think your tip will help me very much!

Thanks!! DG is great!

Hi Dan,

does this command just work on one Shell? If I tried to use it with Showcase tesselated data it won't work on the whole faces, just on shells.

DT Staff

I'm not familiar with the way Showcase tessellates models once they're imported into Maya. But the conform operation works on whatever you have selected. So, for example, if you have an entire object selected then it will conform the normals of the entire object. If you want to select only one shell, you can select a single face on that shell then go to Select > Convert Selection > To Shell. Then go to Normals > Conform to conform the normals for your shell.