Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Smile Projecting 2D facial animation onto a 3D character

Hi guys,

First post and this is desperate. I am creating a short film in which the character is a 3D but has been flattened therefore his facial features are also flattened. As part of the style I want to project his facial features that have been animated in 2D onto the model that is animated. Any ideas on how I can project videos in maya or possibly a tga. sequence or something of the like. This probably is fairly simple but I am struggling with where to start.

Any help hugely appreciated.

Cheers
    Attached Images

DT Staff

Re: Projecting 2D facial animation onto a 3D character

Hello Craglybot! First, let me welcome you to the DT community! It sounds like what you're going to want to do is to use an animated texture. In Maya you can do that with either option that you mention, namely a video or an image sequence. Which method you use really depends on which workflow you prefer. The most difficult part about setting up the 2d texture for your character's face, though, will be in the timing. Primarily because the 2d texture would be created separately from the 3d animation. But that's part of the fun, right? Here's a quick video on how you can set up an animated texture to get you started. Hope it helps!

DT Moderator

well thank you Dan,
    this one is great, I shall try this by myself soon...
    I have just one little question: I saw that for the image sequence method you have a bunch of image files that are loaded very fast for creating the movie. But i saw that each image was about 1mb filesize. The movie must have had quite a litte filesize compared to the size of all images... ah well but what I wanted to ask is,
    wich way is less heavy for the computer to manage. Loading in a fullhd movie with about 10 secs of length. Or loading in about 240 fullhd images one after another?

DT Staff

Thanks for the kind words, adeptus! Yeah, each targa image was about 1 MB. The .avi file that I used was only 3.23 MB, though. Remember that the file sizes for movies can depend highly on what format you use, codec, etc. So which one you use is really a matter of preference. Personally I prefer to use image sequences when possible because that way if I need to go in and touch up one frame, it's an image that I can open up real quick and save out real fast without having to open up the whole movie and re-render.