Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: King Cobra Rig

King Cobra Rig

Hello, been a member for a while now but first time posting. I'm trying figure out how would rig a King cobra, the type of snake with a "hood" on their head. The easy part is doing the snake body, and mouth using tik and iksplines

My problem is figuring out how to rig the hood part so that i get the right deformations. the snake hood skin kinda rolls over the edge of the hood flap when he leans his head back and forth

heres a real world reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efJRHQG0_w

any help is appreciated!

Re: King Cobra Rig

Hi,
    What if you built the snake body in the fully flared position, then used animated lattices to control them in and out?
    At first I was thinking blend shapes, but that could be difficult for the entire snake to be seamless.
    By using a localized lattice at the hood, maybe you could get what you want, or at least a start. Then for any other nuances of movement, maybe rig those portions with bones or control with a deformation control like a bend deformer.

Does any of that sound helpful?

I would recommend muscle custom shapes. You could have the muscle at the squash position flared out and you will get the sliding effect you are looking for. Then use a set driven key to drive the bones, with a custom attribute on the snake body to drive the set driven key.

If the cobra was modeled in a relaxed pose your good to go, if it was modeled in the aggressive pose, just use shrink wrap on the muscle shape.

Check out "Intro To Maya Muscle" lesson 18 - "Sliding With Shrink Wrap Enabled"

I haven't tried it yet, so DT guys correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be able to simply parent the flare with a blendshape and not have to worry about the setDrivenKey and extra bones.
    Last edited by shamusoliver; 03-07-2011 at 10:14 AM.

this project is due Friday and I need help, i set up control objects that control cvs of the curve for the spline ik, but i need to be able to make a slither animation, i tried using the animate along path tool but it moves all my control curves to the start of the curve so that they are all on top of each other, i need a way to hold that offset between the controls, kinda like animating a train. If anyone has any suggestions please help. thanks!

here is a screenshot

Hi DigitalDave,
    I think a nonlinear sine deformer could get you there quickly. I put together a little demonstration. Hope it helps, looming deadlines are no fun.

Last edited by shamusoliver; 03-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.

thanks shamussoilver, I would use the sine deformer if i was just going to move it in one direction, but for this need to have a custom path made with a a cv curve ive tried attaching the rig to the path but the bones all jump to one spot

Ok, here we go.

You can bake the deformation of the sine deformer onto the cvs of the curve. Here's a video regarding that:

Then you can attach the curve to a motion path, here's a video regarding that:

Then you can add an extra bend deformer to lift the snake head off the ground easily, here is a video regarding that:

Last edited by shamusoliver; 03-17-2011 at 12:21 PM.

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Hello DigitalDave! There are some great suggestions here! Let me first say that building any rig can be a very in-depth process, so this is obviously going to be a quick and easy solution. That said, here's a quick video of how to set up a rig that, when animated, can give you some nice snake movement. If you want to attach it to a motion path, just attach the global control curve (cc_snake in the attached file) to the motion path. Good luck!

Here's a link to the Character Rigging for Production in Maya 2011 course that was referenced in the video. You may also find Curve-based Facial Rigging in Maya 2011 helpful. Lastly, here's a link to the final rig from the video in case you want to play with it: snake_rig.zip

thanks for all the great help! I will post my animation when its done

Hey Everyone! Its been over a week since I finished the project but if anyone wants to see my result I have posted it on my portfolio website.
    http://dl3media.com/?p=131
    thanks again for all your help

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Nice job! I like how you added in the rolls to the body segments as it is moving, looks great.

Blog Entries
    DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Great work!

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Great job!! Thanks for sharing your final work!

WOW DigitalDave, that snake is amazing!!!
    Love the ending and the details you got in his mouth and head movement. Great work!