Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Creating easy dirt & ruble for fx shot

Hi guys,

I'm working on a short film wich is effect heavy. It's a postapocalyptic setting, to wich I will add the necessary effects. The film serves as training to myself, and the purpose is to show it on my work: A dutch Postproduction facility to show my ability, since i'm still a junior motion graphic designer / compositor.

My VFX team will consist of 2 people, my brother with some fair maya knowlegde and myself with some maya knowledge. The emphasis of this 'excersise' is the compositing, but offcourse I'll have to make some 3d elements to composite. For one: I have shaded/textured a Leopard 2 tank in maya, to be compositited into my film.

I have aprx. 3 exterior street shots, in wich I need some rubble and dirt on the road (and possibly buildings, but perhaps I'll mattepaint that).

Since I don't have a huge amount of time to focus just on the dirt and rubble, because other elements have to be made/prepared, and I have a fulltime job next to the making of this short, I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some pointers on how to create a dirty / destroyed road?! Favorably in a fashion that isn't to time consuming and still looks nice. It sounds a bit like asking for a magic wand, but my thinking was that some of you perhaps have done this before, so would have some pointers? That would be very helpful!

Love to hear from you! Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

DT Staff

Re: Creating easy dirt & ruble for fx shot

Hello KMKaine! A real quick way of placing some debris is to take advantage of the rigid bodies under the dynamics menu set. Here's a video on how you can set that up:

Re: Creating easy dirt & ruble for fx shot

That's a great way to do it Dan! I also checked out the course you mentioned and it works great! Thanks again ;-)