Want to supercharge your tech skills?
Digital-Tutors subscribers now get access to 1,400+ courses on Pluralsight.com
Community Forums

Maya Training

+ Reply to Thread

Adding Ease In, Ease Out, Ease In Ease Out to your animations?

Hoping to learn a few techniques to accomplish this. I'm assuming it's mostly done in the Graph Editor by manipulating curves, but that's about all I can think of...

DT Staff
    I am a Face of Change

Re: Adding Ease In, Ease Out, Ease In Ease Out to your animations?

Hi pologiovani,

I would watch the Ease In and Ease Out in XSI and just focus on how he edits the curves. The same technique will work in any animation program. We also have a free video for ease-in-and-out in 3ds Max that you might look at.

Hope this helps!

DT Subscriber

Re: Adding Ease In, Ease Out, Ease In Ease Out to your animations?

you know, there was a time before animation curves where people still found ways to get ease in and ease out into their animation. instead of playing with the graph editor you can keyframe in the ease in/out just by adding betweens and either pulling back or pushing forward the motion.

example. you have a ball bouncing. frame 1 it's on the ground, frame 9 it's in the air, frame 17 it's back on the ground. instead of modifying the graph editor put another key at 5 and 13. by default maya will tween this so the ball is exactly between the up and down at these points but this gives mechanical motion with no acceleration. at both 5 and 13 translate the ball up towards the top of the bounce. this way the ball moves quickly at the bottom of the bounce, slows near the top, then accelerates back down.

the graph editor is a great tool but don't let it be your only tool. you can build things like overlap, follow through, ease in and ease out into your keyframes.