Community Forums

RenderMan Training

+ Reply to Thread

Why no "Intro to 3Delight for maya"?

Hello everybody

I think 3delight is a huge thing.

But 3Delight has a different (pass-based) workflow which is very powerfull and tons of advanced features that IMO surpass RFM.

All this cool stuff needs a bit guidance, but there only a couple of quicktime videos and while the DNA forums are helpfull, it's not enough especially as a starter.

There is an inflation of training material for other renderers. Even RfM, which was advertised with the words "Nothing new to learn" by Pixar, has videotraining material.

I am hereby kindly asking you guys to make a training set for 3DelightforMaya, because I think you look to be the only guys on the planet to pull out a good one.

I do even dare to think that it would be a good candidate for a DT bestseller given the sparse learning material on this cool renderer on the market.

Thanx for reading.
    Last edited by mustique; 01-09-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

Re: Why no "Intro to 3Delight for maya"?

I used a 3Delight demo once, and while it was pretty cool I don't remember finding anything overly impressive that made it stand out in my head...it seemed like just another REYES renderer. Didn't 3Delight get its start being based off of Renderman before Renderman was available publically? I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere.
    My statements do not reflect opinions of my employer, the US Government or anyone else.

Having tried both the RfM and 3Delight demos (altough not extensively)
    these are my (novice) observations:

- 3delightforMaya includes 3delight (Proserver equivalent of PRMAN)
    so it is actually like Renderman Studio at the price of RfM.

-3DelightforMaya has an 64bit version for Windows

- 3delight for Maya makes better use of multicore machines than RfM

- 3Delight does not support the Ocean shader officially but other than that there's nothing that is not officially supported. Altough I didn't test it, they claim to support even major Mentalray shaders.

- You can output passes with different shading qualities and file formats. Can be a great time and disk space saver.

- 3DelightForMaya has its own image viewer called i-display,
    (it looks plain but is powerfull. You can toggle it to view all AOV's (passes) while still rendering, view rendered image sequences while rendering...)

Well these are the ones that I could come up with, I'm sure there are more.

I can see that 3delight is not wildly popular and that making training material doesn't seem feasible. But I'd buy every training DVD. Regardless of who comes up with it first.
    Last edited by mustique; 01-10-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    DT Moderator

It's under "Contact Us" at the bottom of the site.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/h...us&mode=update

Send it to the Product Suggestion department.
    My statements do not reflect opinions of my employer, the US Government or anyone else.

Thanks for the link.