PDA

View Full Version : Change Background Color

moonie
11-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Hi, Though I've been working pretty much with Maya, I never figured out how to change the background color of the work space or the rendered scenes. Can it be done without using image planes as I'm used to?:S and can it be done in all operations, like mental ray and maya hardware?

I bet this is so easy to do and I'm not stupid, either it can't be done or I've been unlucky in my search for the golden answer.

oh yeah, I'm using maya 6 unlimited if it helps

thanks for your help
Morten Mazur Nielsen

Carl.
11-02-2006, 04:02 AM
hi moonie,

i'm relatively new to maya but there are a couple of things i know of. in the workspace you can hit alt/option+b. this will cycle the workspace back ground.

to change the render background color, have the viewport you want to render with selected. on the viewport menu go to view / camera attribute editor. in the attribute editor (ctrl a) go down the list until you see environment. click this down and you can change the background color. if you're rendering with final gather turned on this background color will have a global lighting effect.

hope that helps.

carl

moonie
11-02-2006, 05:23 AM
Thanks Carl. That helped.... a bit.

1. The Alt + B combo has only black, gray, and light gray. isn't there a way to customize the color?

2. The enviroment color settings in the camera atribute editor doesn't work. Actually I found that solution on the net but the color doesn't change. I guess this is kind of a bug, cause this looks right to do. Soon I'll change to version 8 and hopefully that will work. But if anyone knows what might cause this problem please post.

Morten Mazur Nielsen

Carl.
11-02-2006, 08:22 AM
you can also go to window / settings preferences / colors. here you can customize every color possible used for all types of objects in any window.

not sure why the environment colour didn't work. i guess you might have a bug there? you can try placing a sphere which doesn't cast shadows and place a shading map on it so it isn't effected by light changes.

c

TwinsenDude
11-02-2006, 11:41 PM
What version are you currently using? In every version I've tried changing the environment color has worked.

moonie
11-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks for all the help, of some reason the render background changes now. So everything is fine, and I can now choose that lovely pink I wanted so bad. ;)

Thanks DT brothers
Morten Mazur nielsen